PDP: Cognitive processes can be understood in terms of networks hat link together neuron-like units. Developed as a result of two stems of research:
- Research in brain function
Established that basic mental processes could not be localised in one section in the brain. Instead is spread around in a network. [NEURAL ORGANISATION]
- Not one step at a time like information-processing approach
Wanted approach that explained processes that occur in simultaneous, parallel fashion, rather than one at a time.
Information-processing approach looking at computers, one step at a time.
- Mental processes as flow of info through series of stages.
- Simple mental operations can be grouped together to produce complex behaviours.
- Challenged by PDP.
PDP Best modal and most recent to represent human thought processes.
- Many operations at a time (simultaneous)
- Neural activity is distributed throughout brain
- Can complete most faulty or incomplete operations