• News routines
Organisations develop ways and systems of producing news to survive (i.e. Press releasing) Routines of practice.
News that falls in to particular styles of reporting, depending on the story.
• News Values
- Themes and requirements that analyse what kind of stories we get
- News values may be more about how news is covered then why it has been selected
10 contemporary news values:
1. The power elite - Groups, people, corporations, nations that are considered important and powerful
2. Celebrity - amount of celebrity contact they can jam into a story
4. Surprise - stories you get about the surprise of the event (i.e. world tragedies,)
5. Bad News
6. Good News
7. Magnitude - scale of things
8. Relevance - focus on a particular group of people (i.e. Australians)
9. Follow-up - What's happening now (i.e. where's Bindi Irwin now?)
10. News Organisation's Agenda - Can be seen in politics (i.e. Against Kevin Rudd)