Jurien Bay Plankton Field Project
The purpose of the project was the compare 2 methods of plankton capture - the light trap and the tow net.
- Both good at catching different types of plankton
- Light trap caught phototaxic types of plankton
- Tow net caught everything in its path
- Light trap gives a temporal scale of plankton, i.e. catch per unit time, or unit effort
- Tow net gives a spatial scale of plankton, i.e. number per unit volume sampled
- 6 light traps were set up at the end of the Jurien Bay Jetty, each for 30 minutes
- 15 plankton tow nets were towed and the total volume of water sampled was calculated
- The plankton were identified and counted
Data exploration and Analysis:
- We compared the proportion of each taxa caught by each method and found that the 2 methods caught very different taxa.